Link to full text and podcast version of original program.)
- What type of article is this? How was it “published”? How does this affect the voice and register of the text?
- What is the main theme or argument of this text?
- What is the point made in the first paragraph by Brooke Gladstone and the following two paragraphs?
- What factor often determines a successful publishing season, according to Carolyn Kellogg?
- What contributes to the success of audio books? What does Kellogg mean by “crossover point”?
- Why should we ask Margaret Atwood where her books belong? (What point is Kellogg making here?)
Words and phrases:
something of a …
marked (as in “marked growth”)
to drive (sales, etc.)
to do in
not so fast
to level off
to come out of nowhere
to hit a groove
to ramp up (transitive and intransitive)
make a (big) push for
to come on strong
to get (something) noticed