- What can the story of Russian art help explain, according to Andrew Graham-Dixon?
- Which galleries at the State Historical museum are rarely visited?
- How old is «this wonderful boat»?
- Why was turning «all of this into one nation» so challenging?
- If Moscow is the «heart of Russia», what are St Petersburg and Kiev?
- Christ Pantokrator's «entourage» consists of whom or what?
- In designing Kiev's first cathedral, what effect were the architects and designers trying to achieve?
- Why is Mary carrying a handkerchief?
- What is the «Christian mystery» expressed in the icon of Our Lady of Vladimir?
- What did the developers of the Cyrillic script add to the Greek alphabet?
- Why did the Mongols seek to isolate Russia?
- What was Graham-Dixon's first impression inside Malye Kareli's church?
- What feature reminds him of a hearth?
- How do the colors of the St Sergius icons compare with Byzantine icons?
- What transforms the art during the mass?
- What is remarkable about Victor Bondarenko?
- How did the Communists show their respect for the power of the icon?
- What did Graham-Dixon mean when he said that Ivan IV was «hardly a model Christian»?
- What was Ivan IV's innovation in the «Church Militant» icon?
- The artist depicting the Last Judgment in Ivan IV's chapel «really pulled out the stops.» What did Graham-Dixon mean?
- What example of a lubok turning «the world upside-down» do we see?
- Peter I «could hardly have chosen a less promising place» for his new capital. What is Graham-Dixon referring to?
- What are some of the new influences that came to Russia with Peter's acquisition of Rembrandt's «Jonathan and David»?
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
Group 301-401V: "The Art of Russia"
On Wednesday, September 4, we began watching this documentary from the BBC, and answering the questions below. We finished today (Wednesday 11th).